Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 Large Egg Whites
Pinch of Cream of Tartar
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
1 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
- With a whisk attachment, whip together cream of tartar and egg whites to stiff peaks. Set Aside.
- With a paddle attachment, cream together the granulated sugar, butter and lemon zest. Beat for 2-3 minutes until light, fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternating between dry ingredients and milk, add half the dry ingredients and then half the milk to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat just until all the ingredients come together.
- Remove bowl from the mixer and add 1/4 of the whipped egg whites to the batter. Stir in the egg white to lighten the batter. Add remaining egg whites and gently fold into the batter until you can no longer see any white streaks.
- Using a 4oz ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared baking pan with liners. Cupcakes should be 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350º for 12-14 minutes or until a tooth pick in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.